The Cushane Law Firm, LLC is presently seeking a bright and articulate college graduate with excellent typing, grammatical, organizational, and leadership skills to support three attorneys with management of cases, discovery, pleadings, settlement documents, legal research, trial preparation, and client relations. Preferred applicants will have a B.A./B.S. degree, an M.A./M.S. degree, or a J.D./L.L.M. degree (see “Education and Experience,” below), but all applicants who have either extensive experience or an A.A. degree will be considered. Must be highly computer-literate and have a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. Familiarity with case-management software would be a plus but is not necessary. Compensation includes competitive salary and paid leave.
- Assist attorneys in research and preparation of pleadings.
- Draft legal memoranda and correspondence.
- Draft contract collective bargaining proposals for use by attorneys at the negotiations table.
- Incorporate negotiated terms of memoranda of agreement into clients’ existing collective bargaining agreements through use of “track changes” function in Microsoft Word.
- Organize and synthesize information through the preparation of summaries, chronologies, reports, casts of characters, spreadsheets, charts, logs, and forms for input into databases, graphs, and other usable formats.
- Compute clients’ salary-step guides in Microsoft Excel.
- Assist with the production and collection of discovery.
- Organize and prepare documents, exhibits, and other materials for use at trial.
- Conduct database searches and review medical records and client documents.
- Assist in preparing court-filed documents and ensure that filings are accurate, properly formatted, and timely filed.
- Maintain and organize litigation files and case materials.
- Verify cases and statutes cited in legal documents.
- Ensure proper legal formatting and citation.
- Monitor and track litigation dockets to ensure compliance with deadlines.
- Communicate daily with attorneys and clients regarding case status.
- Accompany attorneys to trade shows and conventions.
- Maintain office-supplies inventory.
- Perform personal-assistant functions for the firm’s principals on an as-needed basis.
- Other duties as necessary.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong research and investigative skills.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with Westlaw (or LexisNexis), ECF, and PACER a plus (but not necessary).
- Ability to take initiative and be industrious and proactive.
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with New Jersey federal, state, and local court rules and filing procedures preferred (but not necessary).
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Solid interpersonal skills with ability to build strong relationships with clients and adversaries.
- Accepts ownership of projects and is successful in driving them to completion.
- Ability to work with detailed information accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be discreet where appropriate.
- Ability to interact with people in a manner that shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Exhibits clear, concise, and friendly telephone and e-mail etiquette.
- Able to work well as part of a team as well as work independently.
- Is responsive and sensitive to internal and external deadlines.
- Quickly grasp the goals, strategy, and overall culture of the firm.
- Is well-dressed and well-mannered.
- Has a “can-do” attitude and is eager to please.
- Looks for ways to solve problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Applicants must have either: (1) extensive law-firm experience; or (2) an associate-level degree (A.A./A.S.) or baccalaureate degree (B.A./B.S.) in any collegiate major; or (3) a graduate degree (M.A./M.S.) in any concentration; or (4) a J.D. or L.L.M. degree.
- A degree or certificate in paralegal studies or prior work experience in a law firm as a paralegal would be a plus, but is not necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Send resume and cover letter to:
Thomas A. Cushane, Esquire
The Cushane Law Firm, LLC
1028 East Landis Avenue
Vineland, NJ 08360
Fax: (856) 794-2080
The Cushane Law Firm, LLC is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, pregnancy status, age, race, national origin or ethnicity, religion, disability, status as a veteran of the Vietnam era or other covered veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or genetic information in its employment practices or policies.